Getting Started

Before you can learn to drive a car you must apply for a provisional driving licence. If you already hold a valid full driving licence and want to learn to drive larger vehicles, minibuses or buses you will need to apply for provisional entitlement for these vehicles.

What Do I Need Before Applying?

Before you fill to apply for your provisional license, you must…

  • Be a resident of Great Britain
  • Meet the minimum age requirement
  • Meet the minimum eyesight requirement
  • Not be prevented from driving
  • Have a valid UK passport/form of identity
  • Have your National Insurance number
  • Provide home addresses for the last 3 years

Click here for more information.

When Can I Apply?

The earliest you can apply for a provisional license is when you are 15 years and 9 months old. You can start driving when you are:

  • 17 years or older if you want to drive a car
  • 16 years or older if you want to ride a moped

Although, you can start to learn to drive when you are 16 years old with our ‘Start At 16 course’.

If you have the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), you can drive a car when you are 16 years old.

Apply Online:

You can apply for your first provisional driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency’s (DVLA) secure and easy to use online service.

Click here for more information.

Apply In Person or By Post:

You can apply for your provisional driving licence by completing the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office® branches. You will also need to enclose original documentation confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph and the current fee of £50.00. Send your completed application and payment to:

DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD or you may be able to use the premium checking service.

Click here for more information.